Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tao and Virtue Opus, My Dao De Jing

Like most of you, I finally got fed up and decided to learn to read Chinese. As I explored the basic characters, I became entranced with their origin and development. This led me to a quick introduction to Classical Chinese.

A couple weeks and a sizable Amazon bill later, I've become engrossed in the original text of the Laozi, aka Dao De Jing (Tao Te Ching). I find that none of the many English translations I have continue to satisfy me, so of course I am embarking on my own.

My plan is to post the translation as I work on it, along with the rationale that has led me to the choices I have made. Without further ado, here is the first line of the epic classic.

daoable daos are not truly Tao

I will explain my translation and my gloss of the title of the work in my next post.




Location:N Cambridge Ave,Milwaukee,United States

No comments: